Why invest in Starbucks. Is Starbucks a franchise? How much it costs to open a Starbucks? How many locations are opening? How many are closing during the most recent pandemic?
Let’s take a look at one of the most recent annual reports, so you can better understand the opportunity of Starbucks.
Tired of your job? Thinking of starting or buying a business?
Take our Biz Quiz to filter through over 10,000 business opportunities today!
Want to have a franchise specialist support you day-to-day in you franchise search/ analysis? Click here for more information:
#Starbucks #InvestInStarbucks #StarbucksFranchise #VettedBiz
01:07 The dominant force in the coffee industry
01:43 Invest in the stock
02:24 Locations review
04:36 Licenced Starbucks location option
05:00 Covid-19 impact
05:26 Starbucks Income 2020
06:04 How much does it cost to open a Starbucks?
Hey, Patrick here again, co-founder at Vetted Biz and Visa Franchise. I’m going to walk through some of the most important factors for someone that’s looking Why invest in Starbucks.
Starbucks, unfortunately, is not a franchise, however, they do reward in the United States, basically sophisticated licensees. If you have a high net worth and you already have food and beverage experience… Then you can open up a Starbucks. And there are some countries that Starbucks does have franchising. Or at least above franchising… you have licensing, which is the most common way that Starbucks is awarding their licenses throughout the United States and abroad.
We’re gonna talk about how much it costs to open a Starbucks. How many locations are opening and how many are closing during the most recent pandemic. And we’re going through one of the most recent annual reports, so you can better understand the opportunity of Starbucks.
First, everyone must know Starbucks just by watching this video, they’re the dominant force in the coffee industry. They have the highest market share of any coffee shop with 40%, as of October 2019. And their total net revenue, according to their 2020 annual report, was over $20 billion in 2020. It’s a fantastic opportunity if you already have experience in the restaurant sector. And maybe you’re a hotel operator, and you could be a sophisticated licensee.
If you have a net worth less than $5 million, you don’t have experience in operating restaurants. Probably it’s best to look at other alternatives to Starbucks coffee. For those that don’t know, it was founded in 1971 back in Seattle, Washington, and it became a publicly traded company in 1985.
Those that don’t have $5 million to open up and be approved as a licensee for Starbucks. You could invest in the stock as it is publicly traded in the NASDAQ stock exchange here in U.S. I talked a little bit about the license stores. And then also there’s stores that are company-owned, and the makeups in the United States are 55% company-owned, where Starbucks Corporate owns the locations, and then the remaining 45% are licensed stores.
According to the annual report of 2020 for Starbucks, there were 10,000 domestic locations. So there’s more domestic Starbucks locations than throughout the world. In the Americas, there’s 8,700 company-owned locations, and there’s about 1,000 in Canada. And throughout the world, there’s 15,000-plus Starbucks locations that are company-owned. In 2020, there were 1,000 locations that were opened throughout the world. In the U.S. alone, there were 332 locations. Starbucks right now is most focused on opening locations where they can be a drive-thru. If we compare Starbucks openings in 2020 to other major brands like Subway, McDonald’s, and Chipotle… They had significantly more openings.
Starbucks again, 332 openings, Subway, 90, McDonald’s, 2, and Chipotle, 160. So those are four corporately owned and managed locations. On the other side of the spectrum, Starbucks closed 310 locations throughout the world. And this compares to 98 closures for Subway, 4 from McDonald’s, and 9 for Chipotle.
If you look at the net opening across the company-operated source is 803 locations. The licensed locations fare better, they only closed 73 licensed locations in the United States. While they opened 210 licensed locations. However, the openings of licensed locations represent a 33% decrease compared to 2019, and a big part of that could be because of the pandemic.
If you’re considering opening up a licensed Starbucks location, keep in mind that the units account for only 10% of the total gross revenue of Starbucks. So there is a conflict where Starbucks is making 90% of the revenue from the stores that they own and operate, and you might not get the attention you need if you’re opening up a licensed Starbucks location…
Read and learn more here: https://www.vettedbiz.com/why-invest-in-starbucks/